Check Avalability

We do now have an online booking system but feel free to still give us a quick call, or text, so we can have a chat with you. This is to ensure your stay with us is perfect!

Whether you're attending a local wedding and need an early check in or whether you are staying for a business trip & you need an early breakfast time.

You can contact Lorna at anytime on 07713189949 or email her at for an immediate response. We look forward to speaking to you soon.

Make An Enquiry

Give us a call and ask for Lorna:

0771 318 9949

Mere Brook House, Thornton Common Road,
Thornton Hough, Wirral, CH630LU

Book Your Stay


For those of you interested in golf the Wirral is an excellent place to visit as it is the home of no less than 14 golf courses, four (all less than 10 miles from Mere Brook) of which are part of England’s Golf Coast involving a breath taking coastline and picturesque countryside. Although I personally don’t play golf I regularly walk along this coast and always think what fantastic locations these golf courses are in and that it must be amazing playing a sport you enjoy in such wonderful surroundings.

The most famous of the four is the Royal Liverpool, at Hoylake (20 minute drive from Mere Brook) which is one of England’s oldest and most historic golf clubs and has been the scene of many of the defining moments in British golf. Royal Liverpool has hosted many famous tournaments including The Open 2006 and 2014 and the RICOH Women's Championship in 2013. Inbee Park stayed at Mere Brook for this tournament and was placed a well deserved second. She and her colleagues stayed in the cottage and loved the fact they could cook their own meals in the evening which made a welcome change to staying in a hotel bedroom - in fact when they checked in they had a suitcase full of noodles and other food !

The Wirral Golf Classic which started in 2010 is now well established taking place over 5 days each September. The Wirral Golf Classic, is a 72 hole Stableford competition for amateurs held on four beautiful golf courses in Wirral - Caldy, Heswall, Wallasey and the famous Royal Liverpool Golf Club at Hoylake.

One of the most unique courses is Caldy (15 min from Mere Brook), a striking 6707 yard course that really does have its own character that’s all its own due to the unusual combination of cliff top, links style holes that are complemented by a stretch of parkland style holes that wind their way inland by the River Dee.

Heswall is one of the nearest, just 5 miles from Mere Brook and is situated on gently sloping land with spectacular views over the Dee estuary. Abundant wildlife on the Dee marshes, a protected and internationally recognised bird sanctuary, contribute to the Heswall experience, as do the views which take in the suspension bridge near Connah’s Quay, the Clwyd range including Moel Famau, Point of Ayr and Hilbre Islands. The clubhouse which has been extended and refurbished, has a wonderful terrace which overlooks the Welsh Hills and is the perfect place to watch magnificent sunsets over the Dee estuary.

The Wallasey course (10 minutes from Mere Brook) has been described as “the Diamond in the Dunes”, in recognition both of its idyllic setting amidst undulating land close to the Irish Sea as well as the excellent test of golf it offers. The club also has a unique claim to fame being the home of the renowned Stableford scoring system used in competitions at golf clubs all over the world.

Our nearest course, just 2 minutes away, is Bromborough GC, a high quality parkland course selected by the EGU to host the English Amateur Matchplay Championship in 2005 and Seniors Open in 2003. They also hosted the Cheshire Matchplay in 2010. The course is notable for its many species of trees, copses and ponds that all add to the visual appeal. USGA greens and the year round equable Wirral micro-climate provide good playing conditions 12 months of the year. Residents of Mere Brook House have access to weekend tee times and the best available green fee rate. An ideal course to play as part of a wedding weekend or to enhance a mid-week break.

Check Availability

We do now have an online booking system but feel free to still give us a quick call, or text, so we can have a chat with you. This is to ensure your stay with us is perfect! Whether you're attending a local wedding and need an early check in or whether you are staying for a business trip & you need an early breakfast time.

You can contact Lorna at anytime on 07713189949 or email her at for an immediate response. We look forward to speaking to you soon.

Check All Availability

The Mere Brook Bees

Last week Lorna and Donald were invited to St John Plessington School to talk to 120 pupils about beekeeping. This was part of a week long project learning about the environment. We were so pleased to have been involved and hopefully to have highlighted the importance of bees to our planet 🐝
Mere Brook House have also pledged to take park in #NoMowMay. Although we have to mow the lawns to prepare for weddings, we won't be mowing the paddocks until after the end of May. This will encourage wild flower growth and provide essential nectar stores for pollinators like the Mere Brook Bees. did you know that a three acre meadow can be home to 9 million flowers producing enough nectar to support ½ million bees every day?
If you would like more information or are looking to take part in #NoMowMay please visit the No Mow May website . Check back soon to see our progress!
Untitled design 2No Mow May memes FACEBOOK3

The History of Ann Davison


Ann Davison was, at the age of 39, the first woman to single-handedly sail the Atlantic Ocean. She departed Plymouth, England on 18 May 1952 in a little 23 foot, wooden-hulled sloop, built in Cornwall and named Felicity Ann.

Margaret Ann Longstaff was born on the 5th of June 1914; Ann had a passion for horses and a desire for travel. In 1934 Ann got her first taste of flying and she was hooked, from then on horses took second place to her love of aeroplanes. Ann gained her aviation certificate on 5th February 1935 at Hanworth, she was one of only a handful of women in the UK to hold a commercial pilot’s licence at that time. Over the next few years Ann made a living as a professional pilot delivering mail around the UK, however her life was to change when in 1937 she answered an advert for a joy-ride pilot at Hooton airfield. There she met Frank Davison, whom she married in 1939.

Ann and Frank lived happily in a house on Rivacre Road in Eastham, until the start of World War II when the airfield had to be closed and their home was requisitioned to the RAF. The house still exists today on the perimeter of the old Hooton Aerodrome now mostly covered by Vauxhall Car Plant. 

Ann and Frank moved to a five-acre smallholding named Mere Brook House on Thornton Common Road, which Ann described as “an uninspired stucco villa, the outside belying an interior of pleasantly proportioned rooms, with an adequate range of outbuildings and a stable-yard”

1200px Davison plaque Mere Brook Houseann davison d1


In 1939, not long after they were married, Frank and Ann Davison moved into Mere Brook House. Frank was Running his late father’s merchanting business and had become the proud owner of two quarries in Flintshire. Very soon Ann’s energies became absorbed in the “agricultural reform” of the land surrounding the house

“There were two orchards, two minute paddocks, several small gardens for kitchen produce, soft fruit and flowers, leading off one another and enclosed by hedges. There were lawns and rose beds, a sunken garden, and a lily pool. And all in the most appalling tangle. And the land appealed to me because it was in such an awful mess” Ann said of Mere Brook House in her book “Last Voyage”

Ann stated that the years that she spent with Frank at Mere Brook House were the happiest of their lives. The couple lived off the land and the two became passionate farmers, filling the land with livestock and crops. It was during this time that Ann discovered a particular fondness for goats, starting with one goat, and ending up with a herd of 10.  

The couple embraced the rhythm of country life and worked hard to produce their own butter, cheese, preserves and pickles. In 2017 a blue plaque recognising Davison was unveiled at Mere Brook House by the Mayor, some of Anns descendants were in attendance along with members of the local community.

Unfortunately, after an unprecedentedly frosty winter which rendered the quarry inoperable, mortgage payments fell overdue and the quarry was foreclosed. The couple stayed at Mere Brook for a year, supporting themselves on the resources of the farm. This, sadly, was unsustainable for Ann and Frank and they made the tough decision to leave Mere Brook.

Upon their departure from Mere Brook House in 1944, The Davisons purchased an island farm named Inchfad off the coast of Loch Lomond in Scotland. Ann and Frank quickly set about restoring the farm to working condition. Everything was brought up by train from the Wirral, including livestock. After they succeeded, they sold the island, and set off in a converted fishing vessel, named Reliance. Ann wrote about their time on Inchfad in her autobiography, “Home is an Island”

itchfadmbh mayor wirral01


In 1947 Ann and Frank Davison had just purchased a 70ft ketch moored at Fleetwood Quay, named ‘Reliance’. They paid £1450 for the boat which was a wreck. The couple laboured for two years to restore it to a “seaworthy” state. In early 1949 the ship was finished. Frank had always been a keen sailor, it was him who had given Ann her first sailing lesson on Lake Windermere, and he was eager to get Reliance out to sea. Due to financial issues the boat was threatened with repossession, so the couple set sail even though the boat was not ready to go.

On the 17th of May 1949 the Reliance set sail for Havana, Cuba. Unfortunately for the couple, after setting sail with minimal fuss, not long after they left the shore, disaster struck. A storm was brewing, they struggled to keep the Reliance afloat for days while the storm raged on, neither Ann nor Frank was nearly experienced enough to keep the ship afloat. The steering seized and the couple inevitably lost control, The shipwrecking on the rocks of Portland Bill. Ann and Frank struggled against the elements with only life vests and a small life raft to keep them afloat. Hours passed and again and again the waves threw them both off the raft and into the violent waters. Each time they battled the current and fought their way back onto the raft.

Devastatingly, Frank succumbed to exposure and exhaustion. Seemingly through sheer willpower alone, Ann managed to survive the storm, and after it had passed, she scaled a 50ft cliff to safety. She had lost the love of her life and her dreams had been dashed against the rocks.

Following this incredible loss Ann penned the book “Last Voyage” 

reliance wreckreliance drawingportland bills



For any other person, the death of their spouse in a tragic sailing accident would probably be the end of their sailing career.  This was not the case for  Ann Davison, the enormity of the tragedy somehow never dulled her adventurous spirit. “Three years later I sailed again, alone, but it was not in any spirit of defiance, or revenge, or expiation, or vindication, that I chose to return to a way of life that had barely begun before ending so disastrously. From the start, even as I climbed those cliffs, I knew I would, I had to, though at the time it would have been impossible to explain why.”

Soon after Frank's death, Ann found work in a boatyard.She released her book “Last Voyage” about her ill-fated journey on the Reliance, and her husband Frank's death. In 1952 with the profits from the sales of the book she had written, she purchased a 23-foot wooden sloop named “Felicity Ann”.  The vessel had been designed and built in Cornwall at the Cremyll Shipyard by Mashfords Brothers Ltd and had originally been built under the name “Peter Piper”, but delayed by World War II, it was not completed until 1949, when the sloop was purchased by a West Country yachtsman who commissioned her for a cruise to Norway and renamed the boat “Felicity Ann”. This gentleman, however, changed his plans and sold the boat to Ann.

Felicity Annimage placeholder title

Ann set herself the challenge of a lifetime, she was to embark on a solo transatlantic journey aboard the Felicity Ann. After two years of restoring the boat and  teaching herself to sail. She departed from Plymouth. She was still relatively inexperienced but she had learned from the mistakes that had been made on her ill-fated voyage with Frank. She taught herself to navigate with a sextant and learned to accept help from people she crossed on her journey. Fishermen towed her into France, people performed work on the sloop for free, and people opened up their homes to her. In an ironic twist it was a solo voyage that finally taught her that despite being fiercely independent it was ok to rely on others. She was incredibly grateful for “the kindness that did so much to chip away the rock of cynicism.” 

She was met with many challenges, but all the while her towering resolve and strength of character helped her overcome the many hurdles she faced. Ann endured storms, difficult situations and long periods of isolation. After a number of stop-overs, she finally set off across the Atlantic on 20 November 1952. Storms pushed her off course, but she eventually made land in Dominica on 23 January 1953. She spent time recuperating before sailing up to Florida and finally arriving in New York on 23 November 1953. Ann and Felicity Ann, or “FA” as Ann fondly referred to her as, were the featured guests at the 1954 New York Boat Show to celebrate her historic achievement. Ann Davison became the first woman to single handedly sail the transatlantic ocean.

Ann Davison2263337a79c114ba013ac680efa99bdb


After Anns monumental achievement, between the years of 1970-1980,  the Felicity Ann was owned by a lady named Phyliss Gottshall. Not much is known of what happened to the vessel from 1980 onwards - but in 2008 the Felicity Ann came to Haines, Alaska undergoing initial restoration, but has now been donated to the Northwest School of Boatbuilding in Port Hadlock, Washington for further restoration. The original design for the Felicity Ann and three other identical hulls are from 1936. The Felicity Ann has been almost fully restored, and on 6 August 2017 the title was transferred to the Community Boat Project in Port Hadlock, WA by the Northwest School of Wooden Boatbuilding where students and volunteers did most of the planking restoration. The boat was finished by volunteers and on May 1st 2018 made its debut on a 3 week, 8 port, voyage manned by an all female crew. Since then the boat has been on show at various locations, and the Northwest School of Wooden Boatbuilding have been recounting Ann’s incredible story Anacortes Public Library's Maritime Series.

8082008 web1 170813 pdn felicity ann web3 week 8 port debut

After selling Felicity Ann, Ann was looking for another adventure. She set her sights on single-handedly circumnavigating eastern North America aboard a 17-foot outboard-powered cabin cruiser, unfortunately Ann had been diagnosed with cancer, but as usual she was not about to let this ruin her plans, once again defying the odds she beat cancer and set off on her last solo adventure, which she achieved! In her later years, Ann settled into retirement in Florida and passed away at the age of 78 in 1992, leaving behind the most incredible legacy, and a handful of books she had authored detailing her wondrous journeys.

LL0182 003 00 UntitledAnnsails again


Read All News Stories

Give us a call and ask for Lorna: 0771 318 9949

Click To Reveal